Saturday, August 6, 2011

Fresh Eyes

Other than a final project, due on Monday, I have finished my multimedia program in London. On Thursday morning, I said good-by to my new friends, did all my laundry and moved to a hotel near King's Cross.

My older child Teresa flew into London that same day, taking the same route I had taken just three weeks ago. Vancouver to Seattle. Seattle to Reykjavik. Reykjavik to London. Unfortunately she was a bit under the weather already, and the long flight didn't help. I took her to Wagamama for some spicy noodles and broth and then to bed. For the first time in three weeks, I didn't take a single photo.

Yesterday we set out to explore London. She didn't want to do any tours or pay to visit attractions, so we just wandered from the Tower of London, along the Thames to St. Paul's. Teresa is interested in anthropology and archaeology, so we went to the Museum of London, which is free. When there's no admission charge, it's easy to breeze through, look at the most interesting bits, and get on with your day. I was surprised, and pleased, when she took so much time reading the information and getting into the history of London. I mentioned it before, but this is a really excellent museum. I saw things yesterday that I had completely missed when I'd been there before.

Near the Tower of London

Afternoon tea

We had tea and checked out the Animal Kingdom at Harrods. There were no exotic animals there, but they did have our favorites--wiener dogs. The four puppies were wide awake and very playful. It made me miss my own two dachshunds. But I won't be taking one of these home--the price tag for each puppy: £1700 / $2750!

Napping (her) and homework (me) occupied our early evening. Then we set out to explore some more. We had a pizza dinner and then walked all the way to Piccadilly Circus, checking out the tourist shops. I'm sure my son will be relieved to learn that I did not buy him a "My mum went to London..." t-shirt.

Today we hit Portobello Market. This market, famously featured in the movie Notting Hill, is only open on Saturdays. I had done some research, so I knew that we wanted to push past the hoards of people at the top of the street, past the antiques, and even the food vendors, to get to the vintage stuff. Teresa was interested in finding a leather jacket and we found the perfect one.

Our time in London was much too short. Soon it was time to make the long trek back to Heathrow for the next step in our mother/daughter journey: Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment