Sunday, July 17, 2011

Performance: Street and Stage

There's a lot of talent in this town. Some of it can be found in in the tube stations or on the street. I caught this guy at Oxford Circus on Friday night when I was exploring on my own. I videotaped two minutes of his performance and then tossed 50p into the suitcase near his drum kit. On the way back to my flat several hours later, I saw him leaning against the window engaged in heated conversation with another person, en français.



Then last night, our entire group went to see Billy Elliot at the Victoria Palace Theatre.



You can take a virtual tour of the entire theater on the Victoria Palace website. My seat was in the front row of the uppermost balcony

Screenshot from virtual tour video. © Victoria Palace Theatre

I was fortunate enough to see Billy Elliot in Portland a few months ago. I was glad to see that there was very little difference between the two shows. This makes me feel as if the Broadway Across America touring shows we get in Portland at the Keller Auditorium are equal in quality to the shows we'd be seeing if we went to New York or London.

Naturally the best part of the show was the young dancer who played Billy Elliot, as well as the other kids in the musical. What incredible dedication these kids have to do such a demanding, professional job, night after night (even considering there are multiple dancers who play Billy.) And what incredibly supportive parents they must have as well.


Chick liked the show, too, though he was dismayed by all the f-bombs dropped by the child actors. Geez, Chick, don't be such a prude.

1 comment:

  1. That guy has mad skills! I love when he just lets the background go on for awhile, and wanders around dancing.

    ReplyDelete